August 19, 2008

paper marbling : homemade liquid starch 2

Finally, after several trials of trying to make sizing that's gonna work.

The first trial was completely a waste of time and material. It was much too thick, I was going too fast, too much. So, that had to be thrown out.

The second trial, I stuck to the recipe I found. 1/2 cup of corn starch and 1 cup of cold water, mixed then pour into boiling water. (of course the recipe I found it said to mix corn starch and cold water in big bowl and pour in boiling water). As it turned out, the damn thing didn't turn clear and it was way way too thick. Since I didn't know how much of boiling water I was suppose to put in.

So, I tried smaller portion of corn starch/cold water. This time it was 1/4 corn starch and 1/2 cup of cold water, into 6 cups of boiling water. It still didn't turn clear like the recipe said, but I found another one that said it might be cloudy, so I guess it's ok.

I left it to cool down, and now I found one that work!!!

So, next step, figuring out how much water and acrylic paint to mix and how much dish detergent to put in. Currently it was a good size acrylic and about 11 CC. of water and a drop of dish detergent. Seems like it was pretty good, but it spread out too much. So it'll be another few trials I guess.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

In my current experimentations dedicated to replacing carageenan and methocellulose, I am finding a factor of 10TB CS to 5 C water a reasonable ratio. I do like mine thick, however.

Please keep in mind that paper is a factor in this form of art. I use stonehenge print-making paper for my professional use, but use anything I can find around the house for playing around with.

As for pigments, I highly suggest the Golden Brand Fluid AIRBRUSH Acrylics. High pigmentation to low volume, meant specifically to disburse, lots of colors and reasonably priced.

One thing that's important I've found out just this evening is that hot or cold water makes no difference *HOWEVER* the mixing process does. I use a hand mixer. You're going for the consistancy of buttermilk.

Keep in mind traditional marbling uses Alum as a binder from paper surface to pigment. It's my hope that by seeking the correct ratio of CS to H20, this can be bypassed without via the use of modern acrylic pigments and/or india inks (my next series of experiments will focus on that, and their dilutive properties).

Caroline Tigeress