September 05, 2007

dressing up my accer, stage 1


dressing up my accer, stage 1
Originally uploaded by Xavacid
I was looking at a bunch of MacBook that got some laser etching, and they looked good! I really liked it, unfortunately I don't have Mac and even if I did, I still won't be able to get it laser etched (not that I would, I like the option of changing the look if I want, and laser etching will take that option away)

What I have is Accer Aspire 4710G, which has textured finished, The top has that polished reflective strip of black, so I figure I could do something. I bought several sheets of vinyl stickers in black, as well as clear contact paper in rolls! My first thought was using the clear contact paper, however, it doesn't work very well, when the surface is already textured, (if it's the glossy finished then the clear contact paper would've worked very well.) So, I moved on and tried the black stickers instead. Before I did all this, I took a small piece of each ones and stuck it on the laptop then pulled out to see if it'll leave the glue residue on it, which none of them did. (if there's residue I might not do it at all)

Then I picked the glossy back vinyl and cut out the image by hand (with my trusty x-acto.) Then I transfered it with masking tape, almost lose small pieces several times, but well, I tried to slow down and not just ripping the tape out (or I might have to start over)

This is only the first stage, I'm adding a few more things and I might try the textured sticker one, to see if it'll give me the impression dimension. And I think I might add 'cogito ergo sum' (I think therefore I am), or maybe something else, I'm thinking... but everything can be changed so it's not a big deal, only a bit of time that will be lost.

I did this at about 1:30 in the morning, cut and clean and stuck on the laptop itself, well, I ended up going to bed around 4am.

If I just go ahead and cut without stopping to read this and that and watch 'How Clean Is Your House?' I probably finished it quicker, but who's checking? LOL.

No comments: